Sunday, January 24, 2010

Fast Food

I'm sitting here watching the depressing rain, grading depressing GRE essays, and drinking non-depressing coffee. I'm not eating anything though. This morning marks day 1 of my three day fast. Coffee is allowed, because if I didn't have some part of my morning food ritual intact, I think I'd go crazy. Juice is also allowed, if I get super hungry or lethargic. I have fasted twice before, and both times it was much more of a psychological challenge than a physical one. Actually, I never even got hungry those times, which I think is pretty wierd. But it was hard not to eat. I normally spend about 70% of my free time thinking about food, and usually I can indulge in the food process - shopping, recipe browsing, cooking, eating. But for the next three days that process will be off limits, but the amount of time I spend thinking about food won't change. It probably doesn't help that I've spent an hour this morning searching for wholesale fish distributors, because I wouldn't mind having twenty pounds of sushi fish in my freezer. I guess I'm embarking on some psychological torture. Or a battle of wills - mine against mine. This fast isn't only about my willpower though. Grad school makes me unhealthy - the whole being in town all day isn't really condusive to healthy eating or home cooking. And I drink more beer. So this fast is also a way to kick-start my future of eating healthily.

Which brings me to the socond part of the week. Once I have successfully fasted for three days, I will eat only home-cooked meals for the rest of the week. This will probably entail cooking something Tuesday night, which is unfortunate because I won't be able to eat it until Wednesday; or I will get up ridiculously early to cook something to bring to school for lunch and dinner. Once I'm allowed to cook, I'll be posting pictures of my culinary deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment